Friday, November 23, 2007

Not just part of the furniture!!




Dips, not the type you dunk your cracker biscuits into. I'm talking about those parallel bars that stick out from the wall at the gym, the ones I always walked past but never even had a second thought about, the ones where you see a group of BIG guys training on, you know the ones??

Well let me tell you the other day a guy at the gym (who regulary spots me when i need it) was watching me do weighted dips across two benches. He said why don't you use those (pointing to the parallel bars bolted to the wall)? I literally laughed at him and told him i couldn't do those!! I hated admitting to that BTW lol.
He said have you tried them? My response was "no". He rolled his eyes and asked me to follow him to the dip bars.
No points for guessing he wanted me to try it, and there not exactly tucked away in the corner of the gym where noone could watch me struggle, freeze, then fall through without any success.
I stood on a bench so I could get up and I was in position and ready to lower myself for the first rep. I slowly lowered myself until he said I was deep enough (this was the easy part), then it was time to push myself back up. I pushed and before I knew it I was back up, so I keep going until I pushed out 8 reps. woohoo, I was so happy.

Now dips are a part of my tricep program and I will soon be doing weighted dips (next week) *grin*

Why the heck after all these years did I not try this exercise before? I always had it in my head it was for the guys (I have not seen a female use it), and I thought I wasn't strong enough...silly.

I have learnt I need to try things before saying "I can't do them".

So now i am looking around the gym to see what else I can do LMAO.

9 Comments:

Blogger Bug's Mumma said...

Yay! Good on ya for giving the dips a go :) PS - my blog will be back up soon....just waiting on something to be done first ;) xo

1:54 PM  
Blogger Charlotte Orr said...

Hi Deb, thanks for your comment in my blog. Glad to hear your training is going so well. I love dips too. Gives me such a buzz to be able to lift my own bodyweight. You have a good weekend too! Cheers, Charlotte

2:58 PM  
Blogger RaeC said...

That's one of my all time favourite pieces of equipment right there!! Love 'em!! Keep up the awesome training hon xxx

4:41 PM  
Blogger Dianna Broeren said...

Oh I'm going to try them when I train triceps again : )

8:44 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

That is funny Deb.....congrats on doing the reps....I am definately not able to do unassisted dips yet!!!

7:10 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

lol Deb, yay @ getting out a full set!! I don't mind doing them either. Its the wide grip pull ups that kill me.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Miss Positive said...

Way to go Deb!! This is one of my goals - to be able to do them too. I currently use the assisted dips machine because I've been too scared to try them unassisted. Might have to give it a go - even if I can do one I'll be happy!

See you dont know your own strength!!

Hilary xx

10:56 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Woo Hoo!!!

I can't wait introduce you to the power clean!

1:51 PM  
Blogger Em said...

WOW my girl is growing strong :)
I am so proud of you, Keep up the great work!!!
Em:)

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home